The Battle of Sekigahara – 関ケ原の戦い

October 21, 1600… Fog covered the battlefied and tension ruled over the soldiers on both sides… The fate of the Japanese Empire was hanging in the balance as the country stood in need of a new leader to unite the people. Two major candidates emerged and were determined to take over. But one final battle was awaiting… The Battle of Sekigahara was perhaps one of, if not the most decisive battle in the history of Japan and sealed the country’s fate for the next 250 years. But what happened exactly? Who were these candidates and how did this single battle forge history as it did?

the battle of sekigahara
Continue reading “The Battle of Sekigahara – 関ケ原の戦い”

Why does Japan drive on the left side of the road?

About 65% of the population drives on the right-hand side of the road, while the other 35% drives on the left side. And what’s more, around 90% of the total length of roads that exist on this Earth are used for right-hand traffic! So basically, most people drive on the right side of the road. Yet, Japan (along with countries such as the UK, Australia, Thailand, Suriname…) drives on the left-hand side of the road. Why is that? Let’s find out.

Red: right-hand side driving; Blue: left-hand side driving
Continue reading “Why does Japan drive on the left side of the road?”

5 Japanese New Year’s Traditions

Each country has its own unique way of celebrating the coming of the New Year. You might celebrate the New Year completely differently than I do: here in France we usually eat tons of not-so-healthy foods with friends and family and take a day off on January 1st. You might also be familiar with the famous Chinese New Year festivities and all its events.

But have you ever wondered what it’s like in Japan? Let’s find out!

Continue reading “5 Japanese New Year’s Traditions”